Key Quotes

"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist."
(Kenneth Boulding)




"Down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid. "

(Raymond Chandler)





"Live simply so that others can simply live." (unknown)





"I cannot live without books" (Thomas Jefferson)





"Sport is war without the shooting" (George Orwell)





"New York is a great city to live in if you can afford to get out of it" (William Rossa Cole)





The secret of a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits (Patterson Hood)































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































Sunday 21 October 2012

A Future that Works

Saturday 20th October and I'm up and out quite early to get to London for the TUC's march and rally - A (Green) Future that Works - the addition is all mine.
No trains from my station at weekends at present, so it was the bus replacement service and then the chance to test my knowledge of the London Underground system when I discovered that the Circle line was closed as well.

I arrived soon after 10.15 am at Temple Station, collected a Green Party placard and leaflets and made my way to where the NUT were gathering.


There was clearly time to do some leafletting, so competing with the SWP, the Morning Star and various other left wing groups I endeavoured to distribute my leaflets while shouting my slogan "Cut Carbon,not the Public Sector". If nothing else this seemed to ensure that those that accepted the leaflet had some environmental awareness.

Soon after 11am it was our turn to move, and we set off at a snail pace towards Parliament. I decided it would be good to see the whole of the march, so I decided to pick up my pace and make my way further forward. Along Whitehall I mingled with large numbers of Unison marchers and along Piccadilly worked my way through Unite until I reached Hyde Park.

I soon found the Green Stall and handed in my placard and spare leaflets. It seemed far more interesting watching the various banners and groups arrive in the park, rather than listening to predictable speeches.

During the day I was interviewed by a team of American broadcasters who wanted my opinions on political situation of the Uk and what impact I felt the march would have, and then I was photographed by a Scottish Green Journal.
Really not sure why either selected me.



Altogether there was a good turn out of Green banners and members. I got the chance to talk to a number of people and with crowds estimated at 120,000, the march though smaller than last year's event was still worthwhile if unreported in the mainstream media.

No comments:

Post a Comment