Key Quotes

"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world is either a madman or an economist."
(Kenneth Boulding)




"Down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid. "

(Raymond Chandler)





"Live simply so that others can simply live." (unknown)





"I cannot live without books" (Thomas Jefferson)





"Sport is war without the shooting" (George Orwell)





"New York is a great city to live in if you can afford to get out of it" (William Rossa Cole)





The secret of a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits (Patterson Hood)































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































Monday 11 February 2013

Being 60

Soon after I started work as a teacher in 1975, I placed a piece of paper above my desk that read " You can retired on 5th February 2013". In fact I chose to retire a couple of years ahead of schedule. However this piece of paper , long since forgotten, was dredged from my memory tlast week when I celebrated my 6oth birthday.

It's a strange feeling being 60, on the one hand I don't feel sitgnificantly different to the way I felt a year ago, five years ago etc. On the other hand society appears to treat you differently once you've reached this landmark.  With government determined to make people work longer, some of the benefits that would have at one time come my way have now been postponned to a later date; however I've applied for a Senior Railcard that will cut 33% from off peak train fares.

In fact much of the last week I've spent February doing what I have done for years, namely marking examination papers, however I was determined to mark the occasion. Interspersed with attending the opening of the sports centre at the school where I used to work, preparing for a Parish Council meeting and a day spent earning some extra cash driving a minibus.

I am by nature not a party person, years ago I realised I preferred the company of a few people to the many, and actually I really wanted only to be with those closest to me. To find a location that would suit an age span of 8 months to 60 years.

Some months ago I saw an advertisement for Sunday afternoon tea at Lords. I didn't need any persuasion, this was it. The Long Room at Lords, a champagne tea with cake. OK there were a few obstacles, there was a dress code; now I have long waged against such norms. The MCC only allowed women members in the late 1990s, but Lords is the home of cricket, and the added bonus being able to walk the corridors of the pavilion seeing the trophies, artwork and the England dressing room swung it.

The day itself saw rain fall continuously as we made our way to St Johns Wood. Nevertheless we arrived in good time to have a couple of drinks in the Lords Tavern before making our way to the Pavilion.

 

 

A string quartet played as a variety of teas, champagne, sandwiches,scones and cakes were served. After tea we made our way on a tour of the pavilion. I stood looking out from the balcony where England players stand, I saw the honours boards that stand for all to see which players have scored a test century or a fifer at Lords.




An afternoon to remember, an occasion, accompanied by my family and my oldest friend. Splendid.



No comments:

Post a Comment